Wednesday, March 23, 2016 |
A shelter for homeless kids in Sacramento - Wind Youth Services - has reopened after a budget deficit forced a sudden closure last month.
Executive Director Suzi Dotson says a $15,000 donation allowed the shelter to reopen. On Insight with Beth Ruyak, Dotson said the non-profit organization serves kids ages 12 to 18 who come in off the streets looking for food and shelter.
"They want to move forward in life just like anyone else," says Dotson. "Once we get those basic needs met, we start looking at now what do you wanna do, what does your life look like five years from now, If you could wave a magic wand, what would you do? And then we start working towards that."
Dotson says the maximum stay is just 21 days and that her organization helps more than 90 percent of the kids reunify with their families.