Healthy Families Considers Higher Premiums, Benefit Cuts

Share |
(Sacramento, CA)
Thursday, July 30, 2009
A few weeks ago Healthy Families started a waiting list. So far more than 30,000 kids have been put on it. Now the program faces a new $190 million state budget cut. Officials are now considering disenrolling kids who already have coverage.
Janette Lopez is with the board in charge of Healthy Families. She says it’s also possible that families will have to pay more for their insurance.
“The board is looking at all options and we’re trying to make a minimal impact on families.”
Lopez says co-payments for prescription drugs could double from five dollars to 10. Some other possible options: limiting vision coverage, chiropractic services and elective abortions. The board could vote on the possible changes as early as mid-August.