Fire officials say a tenant in one of the three apartments set off ten cans of insecticide fogger to kill off a cockroach infestation. That exceeds the recommended amount.
The blast blew out some of the complex's load-bearing walls, leading city officials to condemn the entire apartment building.
Captain Christian Pebbles with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District says accidents like this can easily be avoided.
“It’s really important that you follow the recommended directions…it’s sitting there in black and white. Don’t use more than you are supposed to, make sure that you have your ignition sources eliminated and if there is any questions make a phone call and find out some proper procedures from the manufacturer. ”
No one was injured in Sunday's explosion, and the families have been placed in temporary housing. Fire investigators said they suspect electricity from a refrigerator detonated the cloud of insecticide.
The tenant said he used the foggers after his landlord didn't respond to complaints about the cockroach problem.