The city is collecting athletic shoes this week in honor of Earth Day…which is Wednesday.
Cedar Keyhoe is Elk Grove’s integrated waste program manager. She says instead of ending up in local landfills the shoes will be sent to the Nike plant in Oregon to be recycled.
“And what happens is the inner part of the shoe, the inner sole, is ground down and it’s used to make basketball courts. The outer element of the shoe, the outer part of the sole, is actually used to make like a running field. It takes about 50,000 shoes to make a running field, about 2,500 to make a basketball court.”
Last year, Elk Grove collected two-tons of tennis shoes. Keyhoe says this year, their goal is double that amount.
Drop off sites include:
- Elk Grove City Hall, 8401 Laguna Palms Way
- Barbara Morse Wackford Community & Aquatic Complex, 9014 Bruceville Road
- Laguna Town Hall, 3020 Renwick Avenue
- Cosumness Community Services District Fire Stations
- Elk Grove Unified Schools