They were put on hold last week so that animal control officials could deal with an outbreak of Parvo – a contagious and deadly virus. Pat Claerbout says they used bleach to clean all the kennels.
"So to enable us to continually bleach we had to stop the movement of animals and stop people coming into the shelter because unfortunately everyone wants to come in and pet the animals and while it’s good for the animals it’s also one of the main ways that the diseases are spread."
Claerbout say there were a dozen cases of Parvo in dogs over the past five weeks.
The virus usually strikes un-vaccinated puppies but it can also affect adult dogs. Symptoms include sluggishness, diarrhea and vomiting.