Propane BBQ caused Saturday's Washoe Fire
North Tahoe Fire Protection District
The North Tahoe Fire Protection District has named the cause of last Saturday’s Washoe Fire – a barbeque. Firefighters only finished controlling the blaze Wednesday evening.
(Tahoe City, CA)
Thursday, August 23, 2007
It was a propane barbeque, in fact – on the back deck of a home in the Tahoe Park subdivision. But, says Public Information Officer Ed Miller:
“We don’t know exactly why it started.”
The blaze destroyed five houses and damaged three others. But Miller says it could have been a lot worse.
“This particular fire was only 19-point-5 acres, but because of the density of the population and proximity of the homes one to another, there was potential for a lot more damage than was actually done.”
An independent lab is testing the barbeque to find the specific cause.