Decreased Funding For Homeland Security In Sacramento

Share |
(Sacramento, CA)
Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Last year, Sacramento got $7.4 million from the Department of Homeland Security or DHS. This year it’ll be only $4.2 million.

Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness says it’s perplexing that the capitol city of the world’s seventh largest economy would be facing a cut.  

"You have to question the wisdom of that decision. But we’re going to move forward and do the best we can with what we’ve got."

McGinness says it’s too early to tell what type of anti-terrorist related training, operations or equipment he’ll have to cut. 

"We’re going to have to adjust within what we’ve got. There are other Homeland Security monies that are still available too. This is just the Urban Area Securities Initiative so it’s not the sum total of Homeland Security money." 

UASI funding is primarily focused on dealing with weapons of mass destruction, agriculture and cyber terrorism incidents. The director of California’s Office of Homeland Security says he’ll work with DHS officials to make sure that next year the federal government accurately allocates money based on risk and need.