Sacramento Officials Have A New Plan In Case Of Summer Heat Wave


Share |
(Sacramento, CA)
Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Emergency services director Rick Martinez says the major component of the city’s heat plan this year is to implore citizens to check on friends, relatives and neighbors to make sure they’re okay.
He says it’s something city and emergency officials just can’t take on:
 
We wanna be responsive.  We wanna help people.  But it’s just hard to find you.
 
The city also will be ready to go with a non-emergency phone number for residents to call, if they have heat related questions or problems.
Martinez says the city probably won’t set up a lot of public cooling centers like it did last year.  That’s because only one, in the downtown area, was widely used.
Thirteen people died in Sacramento during last summer’s heat wave.