Business Journal: MobilePro Pulls Out

Share |
(Sacramento, CA)
Friday, June 9, 2006

The MobilPro Corporation says it’s pulling out of downtown Sacramento, because city officials changed the deal reached with them last year. City officials chose MobilPro to set up a wireless broadband network in the downtown. The higher-speed access would have paying customers. Lower speed access would be free to all. And city government would be a paying customer. 

A MobilPro executive says the city decided it wanted free access for everyone … and MobilPro should sell advertising to underwrite it. MobilPro refused … with an abrupt announcement Friday morning, ending all negotiations. The company says the free service in Cesar Chavez Park, across from city hall, will end shortly.