Fewer Beds in Sacramento Winter Shelter Plan
Sacramento County supervisors Tuesday approved a new winter shelter plan. And as Steve Milne reports, the plan offers fewer beds for single homeless men this year.
Tuesday, November 9, 2004
Last year the county had 133 beds for homeless men at its Cal Expo and North A Street shelters. This year, there’s only 115 beds. Jane Rasmussen, director of the county’s Human Assistance department, says money is tight. We have had budget cuts over the last several years and last year Cal Expo was able to give us a contribution towards our winter shelter program and their revenue was down this year so they were unable to maintain that same level of participation. From December 1st through March 31st the county provides emergency shelter services. Women and children stay at Sacramento Emergency Housing in Oak Park and Saint John’s Shelter in South Sacramento. But Homeless advocate Joan Burke of Loaves and Fishes says Sacramento needs emergency shelters all year long. What’s really needed is adequate year-round shelter because of course people become homeless in the summer just as they do in the winter. But county officials say that’s not likely since they almost didn’t have enough money to keep the winter shelter open. Steve Milne - KXJZ news.