Juveniles At Risk Needs Long-Term Funding


Share |
(Sacramento, CA)
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
For two-and-a-half years Juvenile at Risk has helped troubled youth in south Sacramento get their G-E-Ds. One of the success stories is 18-year-old John Lopez. Nobody ever really pushed me so I didn’t really care. All I really wanted to do was just go out there and try to make some money selling weed. Lopez now attends Sacramento City College. Juveniles at Risk founder Greg Scott says his teachers are able to connect with the students because they too came from troubled backgrounds. They can share back with the student that ‘look, I’m from the same place and coming from the same place I know that you have your own difficulties but let me show you how I got out of mine’ and that makes a difference even if it’s a teacher that’s just teaching you math. Assistant Sacramento City School District Superintendent Melissa Brown says the program nearly folded two-months ago because of fallout from the state budget crisis. Since then we’ve been able to patch together some money to keep them funded for the first half year of their program, but we do not have sufficient funds to carry them through the entire school year. That’s why we’re encouraging the community, business representatives, church organizations to join us in keeping this program alive. Program directors say they need an additional 100-thousand dollars to keep it afloat through the end of the school year in June. Steve Milne - KXJZ news.